Wednesday, 13 April 2011

Review: The Top 50 Superstars of All Time DVD


If you recall, I'd been meaning to write about this DVD and my thoughts on it. I'll stick with writing about disc one, since the other discs contain matches, to which you can form your own conclusions about. This DVD is marketed as controversial, which means they know they've added some people they probably shouldn't have. Its a disc that contains probably two minutes about each wrestler and goes on from there. It is presented by Todd Grisham and the picks for the list were supposedly chosen by the locker room (which I'm having a hard time believing.) The segments for each wrestler do not contain enough information and overall, you simply feel ripped off. Personally, I would have rather preferred a book containing pictures.

Ladies and Gentlemen, without further adieu, here is the WWE's list of top 50 superstars;

1. Shawn Michaels
2. The Undertaker
3. Steve Austin
4. Bret Hart
5. The Rock
6. Harley Race
7. Ricky Steamboat
8. Andre the Giant
9. Rey Mysterio
10. Roddy Piper
11. Eddie Guerrero
12. Triple H
13. Gorgeous George
14. Randy Savage
15. Curt Hennig
16. John Cena
17. Ric Flair and Dusty Rhodes (tied)
18. ?
19. Edge
20. Jerry Lawler
21. Lou Thesz
22. Terry Funk
23. Hulk Hogan
24. Bruno Sammartino
25. Chris Jericho
26. Ted DiBiase
27. Fabulous Moolah
28. Freddie Blassie
29. Randy Orton
30. Pat Patterson
31. The Iron Sheik
32. Jimmy Snuka
33. Mick Foley
34. Kurt Angle
35. Buddy Rogers
36. Gorilla Monsoon
37. Junkyard Dog
38. Billy Graham
39. Jake Roberts
40. Big Show
41. Jack Brisco
42. Sgt. Slaughter
43. Kane
44. Nick Bockwinkel
45. Jeff Hardy
46. Dory Funk Jr.
47. Bob Backlund
48. Rick Rude
49. Batista
50. Killer Kowalski

The list is here, and for your curiosity,  a list of the other things found on this DVD set can be found on Amazon in the reviews section. I won't link to it simply because I refuse to endorse this product. I disagree with many of the picks on this list (Hulk Hogan is at 23!) so here is my own;


1. Shawn Michaels
2. The Undertaker
3. Steve Austin
4. Bret Hart
5. Hulk Hogan
6. The Rock
7. Ricky Steamboat
8. Andre the Giant
9. Randy Savage
10. Roddy Piper
11. Sting
12. Triple H
13. Gorgeous George
14. Ric Flair/Dusty Rhodes
15. Curt Hennig
16. John Cena
17. Edge
18. Stu Hart/Antonio Inoki
19. Terry Funk
20. Jerry Lawler
21. Rey Mysterio
22. Kevin Nash/Scott Hall
23. Lou Thesz
24. The Great Muta/Bruno Sammartino
25. Chris Jericho
26. Ted DiBiase
27. Lex Luger
28. Freddie Blassie
29. Rob Van Dam
30. Pat Patterson
31. The Iron Sheik
32. Jimmy Snuka
33. Mick Foley
34. Kurt Angle
35. Tajiri
36. Gorilla Monsoon
37. Junkyard Dog
38. Billy Graham
39. Jake Roberts
40. Big Show
41. Jack Brisco
42. Sgt. Slaughter
43. Kane
44. Jesse Ventura
45. Booker T.
46. Dory Funk Jr.
47. Chyna
48. Rick Rude
49. Sabu
50. Killer Kowalski
51. Ultimate Warrior

I tried to make a list based on cultural impact as well as wrestling talent. My recommendation is that you simply read the list I've provided from their DVD and then disagree with it. Do not waste your time watching it simply because the segments do not provide enough insight into these superstars' careers. Please, leave your thoughts on my review/my list, and if you have any suggestions, feel free to contact me..maybe we can write a list together.

Cover Photo: © 2010 World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

8 comments:

  1. Your list was way better! WWE's list looks like a half-assed effort. It also seems like they did the list just to make you buy the DVD, watch it, then make you disagree with it lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks man. I figured there were a lot of people not included for political reasons (different brand, not leaving on the best terms, etc) and I had to include them. I also had to remove certain people that did not belong at all (Batista...really?) and people who might have accomplished alot but did not really leave their mark culturally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it's based on the locker room, I can picture that being rather close to what they pick. What the fans think and what the actual wrestlers think are often two very different trains of thought. Batista definitely belongs on the lower end of the list because he had such a huge impact in such a short amount of time and he was a decent worker for a man of his considerable size.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hm...I took that into consideration, but I dropped it because of the altercation he got into with Booker (the issue was about respect). I also dropped him from the list because of the way he just left. Don't get me wrong, I still think he's cool, I just feel people like Chyna are more deserving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PB, after talking to you on MSN, I'll re-write this list one day, adding Batista on it. Warrior is more of a dick, but you're right when you said this;

    "Batista lasted longer in the company, was a better worker, a better mic work, and had a better rep in the locker room"

    So ideally, I'd like to rank Batista right before Warrior but below Killer Kowalski.

    If any other people have any suggestions...please, feel free. I'm going to write this list again one day taking your suggestions into consideration, and maybe we can submit a list to the WWE or create a list that's most people can agree with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think Sting, Muta, or Sabu have any place on that list, as we're talking about WWE Superstars. Sting and Muta never wrestled for WWE (and I think Sting is a moron for choosing to work for TNA when WWE was bending over backwards for him to come wrestle Taker at Mania this year), and Sabu's WWE run was not very good (mostly because Sabu at that point in his career wasn't very good either!).

    Tajiri is good, but was he REALLY impactful enough to make it to a Top 50 All-time list? More than Brock Lesnar? More than Christian? More than Bradshaw/JBL?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm...
    I think Sting and Muta belong, just because Antonio Inoki didn't either, and he got inducted into the HoF. Of course, this statement doesn't seem to matter that much anymore, considering Drew Carey's in it now. Sting is an idiot for turning down the WWE, and in the end, he paid for it with that stupid match against Jeff Hardy..but so did the fans. Nonetheless, this guy was so badass, its difficult for me to NOT include him. He had the whole lights going out thing and everything...and he taught the Hitman the Sharpshooter.
    Tajiri I'm considering re-ranking him..and JBL and Christian are definitely making the list for their contributions to the WWE, especially JBL...but I can't include Lesnar...he was/is a beast but he also got a push to the top and when it was it was somebody else's turn for the spotlight, he just up and left. He also talked all this trash about the WWE, which Sting didn't do.. Orton is going on the list, along with Bob Backlund like we discussed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. -Psychoblue still posting

    Also very deserving to be on the list are Bob Backlund and Randy Orton. Backlund carried the company in the early 80s and then came back in the 90s to completely reinvent his character and win the WWF title again. He was awesome no matter what year it was.

    Randy Orton has been quite over now for teh better part of 8 years, with a multitude of characters. As he is now he is getting his name chanted like he is the second coming of Austin. Orton is right now ready to be THE guy in the business, and the only thing keeping him from doing so is WWE still sticking with Cena.

    ReplyDelete